With seven senior solicitors and three youngsters in the real estate team, we are well equipped to advise on all the property issues that clients face. It doesn’t matter whether you are an investor, developer, property-holding corporate vehicle, investment fund, charity or corporate end-user; we have the necessary experience and can tailor our legal and commercial advice to your specific requirements.
We aim to negotiate and conduct matters in a commercial, legally astute and pragmatic manner, whilst always bearing in mind your need to operate within your projected legal costs budget for any given project. In doing so, we believe that all our clients will benefit and we will have given true value for money.
The team combines social housing and public sector clients (Simon Denslow and Beth Margetson), commercial property development (Mark Dakeyne, Jonathan Wright, Simon Jobson, Beth Margetson, Sophie Vincent, and Philip Hunt) and investment acquisitions and disposals (all).
Our team acts for developers of differing shapes and sizes on projects of varying shapes, sizes and end-uses. That means anything from shopping centres to office blocks, distribution warehouses to neighbourhood medical centres. Instructions dealt with in recent years include these examples:
- Acquisition, pre-letting and investment sale of a 420,000 sq.ft. distribution warehouse in the south west of England valued at £35m+
- Acquisition, pre-letting and investment sale of a city centre office development of 200,000 sq.ft. built for occupation by an insurance plc valued at £55m+
- A town centre mixed use redevelopment in the Midlands comprising a new superstore, a new shopping mall, underground car park and residential accommodation valued at £60m+ and recently sold at the end of a 12 year-long project
- Acting for a long-established family estate with large holdings in Birmingham’s regeneration areas, where development of both residential and commercial/knowledge projects is being actively encouraged by Government initiatives to benefit from the arrival of HS2 in the city: several schemes are under way and others in the pipeline
- Advising developers on development agreements for owner occupiers on a new headquarters office building in Bristol and a new 185,000 sq.ft. manufacturing facility in the Midlands
- Promotion and development agreements for commercial developers using their expertise to obtain planning permission for large-scale edge of town sites in the North West, Warwickshire, East Midlands and Staffordshire
- Promotion and development agreements for farming landowners with large tracts of land available for promotion by commercial developers or residential promotion experts, sometimes including collaboration agreements with neighbouring landowners, sometimes not
- Sale of retail investment units as and when they are let, in a large mixed-use group of buildings in south east London, the largest lot size being an Asda food store and The Gym.
Our asset management specialists have the experience, skills and tools at their disposal to provide you with the highest quality support on a range of matters.
These include licences and leases, complex lettings, relocations, lease renewals (both contractual and statutory), dilapidations, disposals and underlettings, securing possession, and general strategic advice.
We believe that successful asset management comes from gaining a true understanding of your business: where you are now, where you want to be and what you would like from us to help you to get there.
Our experience of working with both landlords and tenants (and their managing agents and surveyors) means that we understand the needs of both, enabling us to provide advice that strikes an appropriate balance between legal risk and commercial need. This approach ensures that we stay on top of market trends and allows us to apply a truly commercial edge to our advice.
We offer clients an extranet service giving you 24 hours a day, 365 days per year access to your documents online in addition to our standard deeds storage facilities.
Businesses are increasingly aware of the importance of using their real estate to help them to achieve their business goals and their effect on the balance sheet. For corporate occupiers, we understand the need to provide a real estate strategy that matches business operational requirements with the need to retain optimal flexibility, whilst minimising cost and risk and, where appropriate, releasing capital for business needs.
Whether acting for a buyer or a seller, we understand that you will prefer your lawyer to handle the transaction without requiring a constant stream of instructions: you will have enough issues to handle the practical aspects, not least of which will be the funds required for the investment.
We understand that each transaction, and every client, has its own particular requirements. We will always ensure that we work with you so that we understand your needs, enabling the sale or purchase to be delivered in the way you expect.
In relation to any issues that do arise, we know you expect a commercial and practical solution or suggestion, which is what we will deliver. We will always work with you to arrive at the best commercial outcome.
We work with you to build sustainable communities and deliver solutions in a creative and commercial way. We are sector-aware, yet alive to developments and opportunities in the broader commercial environment.
We take time to understand our clients, their business and their sectors, while maintaining an edge in delivering practical, pragmatic and commercially astute advice for the challenges you face. We know that the property lifecycle brings different challenges at different times. We can help at each stage, with timely, ethical and innovative input.
We act on land acquisitions, development and construction contracts, plus more complex structures such as joint ventures and local asset-backed vehicles.
We are able to deal with shared ownership and shared equity products, working with you to complete plot sales quickly and cost-effectively.
Funding continues to present challenges for social housing providers. We have acted on many funding instructions for registered providers and advise lenders on charging and management issues, so we are well placed to look at such issues from all angles.
REAL ESTATE PROBLEMS
We work very closely with our highly regarded Property Litigation team to assist our clients with any mediation, arbitration and, if needed, litigation to resolve any real estate issues that our clients may be faced with or be considering.
This is particularly acute in landlord and tenant situations where timing is often just as important as content, especially when it comes to the service of notices and achieving the best possible outcomes for clients in non-contentious situations.