Whether you are an established franchisor or you are thinking about franchising, it is important that you seek the advice and guidance of a lawyer who specialises in franchising. Emms Gilmore Liberson is a full service law firm and has been approved as an affiliate member of the British Franchise Association (bfa).
Franchising is a very effective means of business expansion but is also a complex legal arrangement which touches upon many different areas of law. In the UK there is no franchise specific legislation. Therefore, a franchise agreement will be exposed to statutory and common law controls in the same way as any other commercial agreement.
Franchising in the UK is subject to self-regulation by the bfa in accordance with its Code of Ethics. Whilst membership remains voluntary, the High Court has recognised the importance of the bfa’s Code in assessing the behaviour of franchisors generally.
As affiliate members of the bfa we offer a full spectrum of legal services to franchisors and franchisees to include:
- Setting up and structuring franchise businesses;
- Trade Mark, Software Licences and Intellectual Property Protection;
- Auditing and reviewing franchisors pre contractual material;
- Misrepresentation Claims;
- Breach of contract and interpretation of contractual provisions;
- Advising on applicability of Good faith in franchising;
- Compliance issues;
- Devising and implementing tactics to deal with non-compliant franchisees;
- Advising on termination rights and what happens after;
- Seeking and defending Interim injunctive relief;
- Franchise Renewals;
- Sale and Purchase of franchise businesses;
- Group actions pursued by and against franchisors;
- Mediation and Arbitration;
- Commercial disputes;
- Employment and the Gig economy;
- International Franchising
We offer commercial, pragmatic and tactical advice. Our experts will take time to understand your needs and provide swift and robust legal advice in a commercial context.
For more information please contact Gurmeet Jakhu or other members of the team below