Licensing and Gambling Law
Avoid Licensing and Gambling Law Pitfalls
If you are involved in the licensed trade, leisure or gambling industries then you may need some specialist support with:
- Applying for a license, e.g. for a new venue or a temporary event such as a festival
- Requesting your existing license to be changed, e.g. longer hours to better serve your customers or adding new activities
- Dealing with threats to your current license
- Regaining your license, if it is revoked
- Staff issues which may endanger both your license and your business
- Buying or selling premises with a license
These can all be unnecessarily stressful and frustrating experiences for business owners. You can rest assured that our specialist licensing team will take the strain. We bring the experience and gravitas that you need to get the right result at a fair price.
Many businesses, such as pubs, restaurants, hotels, shops, members’ clubs and others that sell alcohol need to understand and adhere to the Licensing Act. Casinos, bingo halls, betting shops etc. must comply with the Gambling Act. In addition, they all need to comply with a whole raft of other legislation including Health and Safety.
You, like many business owners and managers, may want some professional support in this area so that you can focus on building your business and driving in more customers.
We are acting more and more for businesses from as far afield as China and the Asia in handling applications for Gambling Licences.
You will discover that we are different to most other law firms:
- We can often obtain your license more quickly and with less difficulty. We do this by considering the best approach and wording for your application, making the relevant enquiries in advance and seeking to agree proposed conditions rather than heading straight down the route of expensive and time consuming hearings.
- You will receive seasoned expertise from solicitors who fully understand your industry and will take the time to get to know your business and your goals. We do not delegate work down to inexperienced paralegals and administration staff- a common practice in many law firms.
- We pride ourselves in providing answers to seemingly complex problems based on strong commercial, tactical and pragmatic solutions. Peter Adkins, the lead Director in the team, has been recognised in the Legal 500 for his work in this area for many years.
- We do not need to charge disproportionally high fees to cover the cost of unnecessarily expensive and lavishly furnished offices. Our Birmingham city centre base is professional, not extravagant, which allows us to give good value for your money.
- For details of our fees please see the downloadable information alongside or below
Your Licensing and Gambling Law Specialists
Our team members advise companies on licensing and gambling law throughout the UK.
Our focus is on helping established businesses within the Midlands, however we do work with start-ups and have supported companies across the region.
We can provide you with the same expert advice on all aspects of Licensing and Gambling Law including:
- Applying for a premises license or a club premises certificate
- Dealing with applications for variations and transfers of your license
- Changes of Designated Premises Supervisors (DPS)
- Temporary Event Notices (TENs)
- Obtaining a license for your outdoor events including festivals
- Operating, Personal and Premises licenses under the Gambling Act
- Prize Competitions
- Licenses to use your premises for civil marriage / partnership
- Sexual Entertainment Venue (SEV) license applications and renewals
- Handling challenges and threats to your existing license
- Training and seminars on licensing and gambling law- to help your staff follow best practice and you retain your license
- Advice on policies and procedures
- Health and Safety matters- so you can avoid fines and incidents
The team is well-respected for its sector knowledge and working with our colleagues in the business, we can offer you a full service including:
- Business sales and purchases
- Property acquisition
- Lease renewals and problems.
- Employment and trading issues,
- Funding and related agreements.
For more information on our services see the pages in the margin alongside
For details of our fees please see the downloadable information alongside / below