Applying for a premises licence or a club premises certificate under the Licensing Act

Any business looking to sell alcohol to the public, provide entertainment or serve food after 23:00  is likely to need a Premises Licence. If you sell alcohol you may also need an individual who holds a personal licence

Applying for a licence for the sale of alcohol, entertainment or late night refreshment may seem simple but it is fraught with difficulties and pitfalls for the unwary.

There are strict timetables, notification, advertising and notice requirements. Any missed items can result in your application being rejected either before or at a hearing. This can be costly in terms of delays, lost application fees and your profits.

Many local authorities have special policy areas which make some applications very difficult to achieve. This is where our in depth knowledge can often help.

We work hard to identify problems with applications early and resolve them before they are submitted.

If there are Objections which cannot be resolved then we can help you with representation at Licensing Committee hearings.

As part of our procedures we provide a number of guides for those we act for to smooth the passage of applications; these include:

  • Guidance on the contents of Plans
  • Guidance on how to advertise your application
  • Draft Age verification Policy
  • Schedule of Fees under the Licensing Act

The Licensing and Gambling Law team

Peter Adkins

Director of Regulatory Services

Hannah Lloyd


Sharon MacDonald

PA to Commercial Litgation


Latest news