Changing a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)

Except in rare cases, any Premises selling alcohol will not only need a Premises Licence but also named on that licence will be a Designated Premises Supervisor – or DPS. A DPS must hold a valid personal licence.

If at any one time there is no DPS, for instance if they retire, leave your employ or have simply told the local licensing authority that they have resigned, then you cannot sell alcohol until they are replaced. To do so risks a large fine and a possible prison sentence.

We always recommend to clients that wherever possible they have at least 2 people in the business who hold personal licences. In this way a new DPS can be appointed easily and quickly.

We are very experienced in making applications to change the DPS at little notice. This can often be carried out online.

A DPS will often need to be changed if a premises changes hands. This is something that is often overlooked and can prove costly.

Contact us for more information

The Licensing and Gambling Law team

Peter Adkins

Director of Regulatory Services

Hannah Lloyd


Sharon MacDonald

PA to Commercial Litgation


Latest news