Late night refreshment licences – takeaways and restaurants

Any premises serving hot food or drink between 23:00 and 05:00 are likely to need a licence under the Licensing Act. Many venues believe they do not need such a licence as they already have planning permission – it is through important to realise that you will need both planning and licensing in most cases.

This is the case whether or not you sell alcohol and whether or not the food is eat in or take away.

This will extend to late night chip shops, take aways, restaurants, shops and supermarkets. Anywhere which sells hot food or drinks.

This can be a complicated area – please contact us if you are unsure

The Licensing and Gambling Law team

Peter Adkins

Director of Regulatory Services

Hannah Lloyd


Sharon MacDonald

PA to Commercial Litgation


Latest news