Operating, Personal and Premises licences under the Gambling Act

Businesses involved in the Gambling Industry have one of the most complicated regimes for regulation. The Gambling Act 2005 created a completely new structure for the industry governed by the Gambling Commission based in Birmingham.

At Emms Gilmore Liberson we offer guidance through the maze of regulations with a view to obtaining the necessary licences as quickly as possible.

We have wide experience of dealing with a broad range of businesses in this sector including Small Casinos, casinos, betting shops, bingo halls, and adult entertainment venues.

Peter Adkins has in depth knowledge of remote gambling including on-line, mobile phone and other devices.

In addition we regularly advise on the use of gaming machines on premises licensed under the Licensing Act 2003

Businesses operating from premises will most often need an overall Operating Licence, personal management licences (PML) and personal functional licences (PFL) and Premises Licences. All under the provisions of the Gambling Act. These are in addition to any licences required under the Licensing Act for alcohol and/or entertainment.

In a similar way internet based gambling operators will need a broad range of remote licences.

The application procedures for licences are complex and can be confusing for those who are not used to them. Even experienced operators fall foul of notification regimes. We can help with smoothing the path.

In addition to assisting with the grant of licences, we can handle variations, challenges, sales and transfers of licences.

With our property and corporate team we can also help with the buying and selling of businesses in the sector.

For more information please contact us.

The Licensing and Gambling Law team

Peter Adkins

Director of Regulatory Services

Hannah Lloyd LLM


Sharon MacDonald

PA to Commercial Litgation


Latest news