Sexual Entertainment Venue (SEV) licence applications and renewals

Premises involved in sexual entertainment often need a separate licence granted under the snappily entitled Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 as amended by the Policing and Crime Act 2009. The type of premises covered are lap dance and strip clubs, sex shops and sex cinemas.

Where the local authority has adopted the legislation there is a defined procedure and once granted licences require annual renewal. Objections can be brought on applications or renewals.

It is normal for a licence application fee to be several thousands of pounds and therefore using the correct procedure and following guidance is imperative.

Many local authorities have placed limits on the number of SEV licences they will issue so you should contact an expert in the area to make investigations before risking funds.

We can guide you through the procedures, submit and make the applications for grant and renewal and also deal with any challenges.

For more information please contact us

The Licensing and Gambling Law team

Peter Adkins

Director of Regulatory Services

Hannah Lloyd


Sharon MacDonald

PA to Commercial Litgation


Latest news