Put a GB sticker on your vehicle! The honeymoon may be over!
Put a GB sticker on the back of your vehicle – the honeymoon may be over!
The 31st October is looming and we are still in the fog. Helpfully, or not, depending on your point of view, the Government has published a ‘No Deal Readiness Report’ (the Report) where the Prime Minister Boris Johnson states that ‘….the Government has taken steps to make sure that we are fully prepared for a no-deal Brexit on 31st October.’
Given the current state of play with the EU we would all be wise to take heed of the Report. The Executive Summary of the Report warns us: ‘Leaving the EU with no-deal would mean leaving without a Withdrawal Agreement or a framework for a future relationship in place. In the absence of an implementation period, businesses and citizens would need to adapt immediately to the UK’s new relationship with the EU.
Whilst it is not my intention to provide detailed commentary on the Report there are some legal implications for businesses that are worth considering.
A new checker tool (the Checker) has been launched by the Government to help businesses prepare: https://www.gov.uk/get-ready-brexit-check. A quick test of the Checker alerted me to the following issues that could affect your business – these are just your taster to start with :
- Travelling to the EU – you may not be able to enter the EU if you cannot show you meet the immigration rules;
- Employing someone from the EU – they may not be able to stay;
- Working in the EU – a visa or a work permit may be required;
- Exchanging personal data with the EU – you will not be able to access personal data without the right contract;
- Possible changes to accounting policies for businesses which may mean a business is breaching accounting rules;
- Conformity assessment or conformity marking may not be adequate to CE marked goods in the UK or EU;
- Industry specific issues may affect different businesses – for example registering for Transitional Simplified Procedures to make it easier to import goods from the EU.
The list goes on and on and on and on ………………………………………
When does all this need to be done: ‘AS SOON AS POSSIBLE’.
Businesses are urged to try the Checker ‘AS SOON AS POSSIBLE’.
There have been a series of free Get Ready for Brexit Roadshows being put on by the Government. These continue next week and the week after if you have missed them but would like to attend: https://registration.livegroup.co.uk/brexitbusinessreadinessevents. There is also an online version if you are unable to attend any of the venues in person.